Constipation Channel
Topics & Medications
Related Channels

Stool Softeners and Other Cures for Constipation

Stool Softeners
Stool softeners provide moisture to the stool and prevent dehydration. These laxatives are often recommended to treat constipation that occurs after childbirth or surgery. Products include Colace® and Surfak®.
Lubricants grease the stool, enabling it to move through the intestine more easily. Mineral oil is the most common example.
Saline Laxatives
Saline laxatives act like a sponge to draw water into the colon for easier passage of stool. Laxatives in this group include Phillips' Milk of Magnesia® and Haley's M-O®.
People who are dependent on laxatives need to slowly stop using them. A doctor can assist in this process. In most people, this restores the colon's natural ability to contract.

Other Constipation Treatments

Treatment for constipation may be directed at a specific cause. For example, the doctor may recommend discontinuing medication or performing surgery to correct an anorectal problem, such as rectal prolapse.
People with chronic constipation caused by anorectal dysfunction can use biofeedback to retrain the muscles that control release of bowel movements. Biofeedback involves using a sensor to monitor muscle activity, which is simultaneously displayed on a computer screen. This allows for an accurate assessment of body functions. A healthcare professional uses this information to help the patient learn how to use these muscles.
Surgical removal of the colon may be an option for people with severe symptoms caused by colonic inertia. However, the benefits of this surgery must be weighed against possible complications, which include abdominal pain (stomach pain) and diarrhea.

About Constipation

Terms of Use
Advertise with Us
Contact Us
About eMedTV
Privacy Policy
Copyright © 2006-2018 Clinaero, Inc.
eMedTV serves only as an informational resource. This site does not dispense medical advice or advice of any kind. Site users seeking medical advice about their specific situation should consult with their own physician. Click Terms of Use for more information.