The effects of a GlycoLax overdose will vary, based on how much of the laxative was taken and whether it was taken with any other substances. Although there have been no reported cases of an overdose with this medication, taking too much might result in diarrhea and dehydration. Treatment options could involve administering activated charcoal, "pumping the stomach," or providing supportive care.
Can You Take Too Much GlycoLax?GlycoLax™ (polyethylene glycol 3350) is a nonprescription laxative approved to treat occasional constipation. As with any medication, it is probably possible to take too much GlycoLax.
The specific effects of a GlycoLax overdose likely would vary, depending on a number of factors, including the GlycoLax dosage and whether it was taken with any other medications or substances.
Seek immediate medical attention if you or someone else may have used too much GlycoLax.
(It should be noted that GlycoLax is no longer manufactured, although several different generic forms are still available.)
Effects of a GlycoLax OverdoseThere have been no reported cases of an overdose with GlycoLax, so it is unknown what to expect if too much of this laxative is taken. Based on the known actions of the drug, an overdose could be expected to cause diarrhea and possibly dehydration from diarrhea.
Treatment OptionsTreatment for a GlycoLax overdose will likely vary. If the overdose was recent, a healthcare provider may administer activated charcoal or place a tube into the stomach to "pump" it.
Treatment for any type of overdose typically involves supportive care, which consists of treating the symptoms that occur as a result of the overdose. For example, supportive treatment options for an overdose with GlycoLax may include:
- Fluids, if necessary
- Close monitoring of renal function (kidney function)
- Close monitoring of blood electrolyte levels, such as potassium and sodium levels.