Constipation Home > More Information on Polyethylene Glycol 3350
What If I Take an Overdose?As with any medication, it is possible to take too much polyethylene glycol 3350. An overdose with this medication is not likely to be particularly dangerous; nonetheless, it is important to seek medical attention if you have taken too much.
What Should I Do If I Forget a Dose?If you forget to take your polyethylene glycol 3350 dose, take it later in the day. However, if it is almost time for your next dose, skipped the one you missed, and continue with your regular schedule. Do not take a double dose or use more than one dose in a day unless your healthcare provider tells you to do so.
How Does Polyethylene Glycol 3350 Work?Polyethylene glycol 3350 is an osmotic laxative. It works by drawing water into the colon, making the stool soft, and increasing the number of bowel movements. This laxative will usually cause a bowel movement in one to three days.
When and How to Take Polyethylene Glycol 3350Some general considerations to keep in mind during treatment with polyethylene glycol 3350 include the following:
- This medication comes as a powder, which should be dissolved in four to eight ounces of liquid and swallowed by mouth. It is usually used once a day.
- Polyethylene glycol 3350 powder can be mixed with any cold, hot, or room-temperature beverage, such as water, juice, coffee, or tea.
- Follow the directions on your individual polyethylene glycol 3350 product to determine how much powder to use. After adding the powder to a beverage, stir well until the powder completely dissolves.
- You can use this medication any time of the day, in the morning or evening.
- It may take up to four days after you start using this product to have a bowel movement. Do not take more than the standard dosage if you do not have a bowel movement right away.
- Polyethylene glycol 3350 should not be used for more than seven days unless a healthcare provider tells you to do so.
- For the medication to work properly, it must be taken as recommended.