Constipation Home > What Is Polyethylene Glycol 3350 Used For?
Although polyethylene glycol 3350 is typically used to treat occasional constipation in adults, there are also some possible "off-label" (unapproved) uses. Polyethylene glycol 3350 may sometimes be used off-label for treating constipation in children or for emptying the bowels before a colonoscopy. This laxative will usually cause a bowel movement in one to three days.
An Introduction to Polyethylene Glycol 3350 UsesPolyethylene glycol 3350 (MiraLAX®) is an over-the-counter (OTC) laxative medication used to treat occasional constipation. Like all OTC medications, it is available without a prescription.
Using Polyethylene Glycol 3350 for ConstipationConstipation is a change in a person's usual bowel routine. When a person is constipated, they have difficulty passing stool, or have less frequent bowel movements than normal. A normal number of bowel movements varies greatly from person to person. Some people may have bowel movements three times a day, while others have them three times a week.
- Dietary factors, such as not eating enough fiber or drinking enough liquids
- Lack of exercise
- Certain medications, including pain medications, some blood pressure medications, and calcium or iron supplements
- Certain medical problems, such as Parkinson's disease, stroke, and irritable bowel syndrome (IBS)
- Ignoring the urge to have a bowel movement
- Abusing laxatives.
- Dietary changes -- for example, increasing the amount of fiber and fruits and vegetables in the diet
- Drinking more noncaffeinated beverages (unless your healthcare provider advises you to limit your fluid intake)
- Staying active and exercising within your limits
- Going to the bathroom when you have the urge
- Short-term use of certain over-the-counter laxatives, such as polyethylene glycol 3350.
- Your constipation is new
- Home remedies do not relieve your constipation after a few days
- You have been constipated for longer than three weeks
- Your constipation is severe or occurs with bloody stool, weight loss, or painful bowel movements.